Now that winter is here it’s a good time to be aware of the most common problems with your heating system or furnace. You know the saying, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” That’s true for most things, but not for your HVAC system. It pays to have your furnace or boiler serviced each year.
5 Most Common Heating System Problems
By the time you contact a qualified HVAC company like Crisafulli Bros. for a “simple” repair, there may be significant unseen damage to your system which may have been prevented. Here are 5 most common heating and furnace problemswe uncover during a routine repair or service call.
- Faulty Pilot or electronic ignition: If your heating system burns gas, then you have a pilot light. Most systems normally have an electronic ignition control that lights when you turn the heat on. On older units, the pilot may need to be relit in preparation for winter. If you start the system and the pilot light refuses to stay lit, there’s a weak flame, or is orange without the strong blue color, you should call for a professional inspection as soon as possible. Shut off your heater at the power switch, turn the gas off, and contact our service department to schedule an appointment.
- Dirty/Clogged Filters: If your filters are clogged or dirty, they are less efficient in keeping dirt, dust, and allergens from entering your home which may cause health issues for your family. It will also result in poor air flow, uncomfortable room temperatures, excessive wear and tear on your heating system and higher utility bills. Your filters should be changed once a month to avoid harming the health of your family and heating system. Contact Crisafulli Bros.for a thorough cleaning of your heating system, including filter replacement.
- Faulty Thermostat: A faulty thermostat can cause your furnace or boiler not to operate or run too often.
- Worn fan motor, belts and bearings: Will cause poor air flow, heating control, overheating and higher utility bills.
- Mold accumulation in Vents: This problem is often the result of too much humidity in your home. Excessive moisture becomes a breeding ground for mold spores.
It’s important to adhere to the following practices when you’re home:
- Keep humidity levels at 40% to 60% and utilize your air conditioner and/or dehumidifier during humid months.
- Keep your home properly ventilated.
- Clean bathrooms with mold-killing products.
- Have your duct system cleaned by a company that specializes in this service
To uncover and fix these and other heating system issues,call (518) 868-0494 today or contact us online for service in Albany. We’ll be happy to schedule a tune-up where all your heating system and furnace’s components are checked and serviced so they operate at peak performance during this winter season.