It would be nice to know when the time is right to replace your water before it springs a leak and causes an inconvenience or worse yet, damage to your home. Typically a residential hot water heater lasts between 6 and 13 years. Beyond 12 years, you are on borrowed time! The longevity of your tank is affected by things like the type of water running through it and whether you have maintained a schedule of draining and flushing the tank every year as recommended by tank manufacturers. In reality, this is seldom done by homeowners. Congratulations if you are among those that do!
How Do I Know If It’s Time To Replace My Water Heater?
Water heater problems normally become self-evident: you turn the hot water faucet on and it fails to summon hot water, you see dripping or puddles near the water heater or the tank emits unusual gurgling or popping sounds. These are the most common warning signs that your hot water heater is likely in need of replacing.
If you determine you have some of these warning signs you have time to review your choices of type, size and model rather than rushing to find a replacement on a Friday night after it has leaked all over your home.
Here are some signs that you may be ready for a new hot water heater:
- Your system is old: On average, your hot water heater should last anywhere between 6 to 13 years.
- Strange color or tint to your water: When you use your hot water, does the water look a bit tinted? If so, there may be rust in your water heater, this is likely an indicator that your water heater is showing signs of wear and may begin leaking.
- Loud gurgling or popping sounds: These noises are caused by the buildup of hard water sediment heating up inside your water heater tank.
- Water pooling around the unit: Look around the base of your hot water heater for dampness, this may be a symptom of a slow or intermittent leak.
- Lack of hot water: An unexpected cold shower is not only bad way to start your day, it’s an indicator that your hot water heater needs to be checked out by a professional.
- Puddles of water near the unit: It’s time to call Crisafulli Bros., to look into replacing your water heater ASAP!
What kind of hot water heater do you need? Key questions to consider include:
- Are you looking to invest in a conventional or tankless hot water heater?
- How many gallons of hot water do you need during peak usage?
- How many users are in your home? It has likely changed since your last installation.
Call Crisafulli Bros. at (518) 868-0494 or contact us online to get started finding the right hot water heater for your Albany home. We’ll gladly provide you with all the information you need to make an informed, educated decision.